Boy, 12, takes out village’s power after crashing mum’s car on 38-mile joyride

BNPS.co.uk (01202 558833) Pic: BNPS A 12-year-old joy rider has left a couple stranded in their home with no power after he crashed into telegraph poles in the middle of the night. Lorraine and Matthew Tricksey were startled awake by a loud crash at 2am on Friday morning on the rural road near Horton, Dorset. At first they had no idea what had happened and were too scared to go outside to investigate as they could hear what sounded like a "drunken party" in their front drive. But they later discovered a 12-year-old boy had lost control and crashed his mother's car outside their home.

Police are investigating a 12-year-old joyrider after he drove his mother’s car for 38 miles before crashing off a 40mph road.

The vehicle veered off Horton Road and ploughed into a telegraph pole at 2am.

The impact knocked out the power and caused chaos for local residents who were left to clear up the aftermath.

Luckily, the boy escaped with minor injuries. Residents said that after police arrived on the scene, they called his mother to collect him.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro's newsletter or get alerts the moment it happens.

Lorraine and Matthew Tricksey were woken by the crash during the early hours of Friday morning.

BNPS.co.uk (01202 558833) Pic: BNPS A 12-year-old joy rider has left a couple stranded in their home with no power after he crashed into telegraph poles in the middle of the night. Lorraine and Matthew Tricksey were startled awake by a loud crash at 2am on Friday morning on the rural road near Horton, Dorset. At first they had no idea what had happened and were too scared to go outside to investigate as they could hear what sounded like a "drunken party" in their front drive. But they later discovered a 12-year-old boy had lost control and crashed his mother's car outside their home.

Mr Tricksey spent several hours clearing up the mess, spilt oil, and the couple had to get a generator as their fridge, freezer, cooker, TV and WiFi did not work after the impact.

Engineers had to work round the clock to get the telegraph poles re-erected and re-wire it all.

The wrecked VW Tiguan was left at the scene for two days before it was recovered.

Mrs Tricksey said: ‘We woke up suddenly at 2am, I think that was the impact. We suddenly realised we were in complete blackness, which was because the telegraph poles had been knocked down and our electricity knocked out.

‘All we could hear outside was laughing; it sounded like a drunken party in our front drive, we weren’t sure what to do because we didn’t know who it was.

‘We managed to get through to police and someone came out, but it took about 40 minutes. We don’t think the boy was on his own, we think somebody came out and picked up some people.

BNPS.co.uk (01202 558833) Pic: BNPS A 12-year-old joy rider has left a couple stranded in their home with no power after he crashed into telegraph poles in the middle of the night. Lorraine and Matthew Tricksey were startled awake by a loud crash at 2am on Friday morning on the rural road near Horton, Dorset. At first they had no idea what had happened and were too scared to go outside to investigate as they could hear what sounded like a "drunken party" in their front drive. But they later discovered a 12-year-old boy had lost control and crashed his mother's car outside their home.

‘We went outside once the police arrived. They told us the boy was only 12. He’s lucky he walked away from it. They got his mum to come and pick him up so he didn’t even get taken off in the police car.

‘There were live wires everywhere, it was very dangerous. We have got no electricity although the electric company have lent us a generator.

‘We’ve still got the car stuck out there, it’s a hell of a mess and blocking our driveway and we can’t get hold of the police. My husband asked the police if they could tidy up because we didn’t want all the car parts and broken trees left there, and they said we would have to contact Highways.’

A Dorset Police spokesperson said: ‘We received a report at 2.05am on August 14 of a single vehicle collision on Horton Road at Horton Heath involving a white Volkswagen Tiguan.

‘Officers attended and it was reported that the occupant of the vehicle, a 12-year-old boy, had not sustained any serious injuries.

‘He was taken to hospital by a third party as a precaution and is assisting officers with their investigation.

‘No arrests have been made at this time and enquiries into the circumstances of this incident remain ongoing.’

MORE: The UK’s cleanest beaches revealed after hundreds fall ill swimming in British waters

MORE: Search launched for missing woman last seen ‘entering sea alone’ at Dorset beach

MORE: The UK has one of the best nude beaches in the world — these are the rules

Original source Boy, 12, takes out village’s power after crashing mum’s car on 38-mile joyride

Back to home