Cambridge chancellor hits out at ‘racist feeding frenzy’ targeting Jason Arday

Cambridge University’s chancellor has criticised the “racist feeding frenzy” that occurred in the two weeks before Professor Jason Arday’s death.

The 41-year-old, who became the prestigious university’s youngest black professor in 2023, had been the centre of media scrutiny over allegations of plagiarism in his work.

Prof Arday, who was found dead on Friday, resigned from his post as professor of sociology of education last week and an independent investigation into his appointment had been launched by Cambridge University.

The organisation Stand Up To Racism has announced plans for a vigil for Prof Arday to be held on the steps of the National Gallery in Trafalgar Square, central London, at 6pm on Monday.

On Saturday, prime minister Andy Burnham described the his death as a “tragedy on so many levels”, adding: “It’s not a moment for any rushing to judgment. It’s a moment for reflection, I would say, reflecting on how things came to this.”

Speaking publicly for the first time, the university’s chancellor Lord Chris Smith said criticism of plagiarism could be investigated while questioning the way in which Prof Arday was treated.

In a statement, Lord Smith said: "I do believe it is possible to hold to two principles at the same time: to believe in the importance of academic integrity, and where criticisms of plagiarism arise, about any academic, whoever they are, ensure that they are rigorously investigated.

"And also to refuse to join in a racist feeding frenzy over a particular academic. "

Before Prof Arday’s death, the university said it would investigate the circumstances around his “appointment and tenure”, and the findings would feed into a review of the process for appointing senior roles.

It is understood the university does not feel it is right to make a decision on whether to proceed with its investigation while the professor’s family are grieving.

A fundraiser for Prof Arday’s family, set up by Windrush campaigner Sir Patrick Vernon, has raised more than £100,000.

Over 30,000 people have signed a Good Law Project petition seeking an inquiry into the recent coverage, accusing the media of “relentless harassment”.

Lord Simon Woolley, principal of Homerton College, Cambridge, and a former mentor of Prof Arday, told BBC Radio 4’s Broadcasting House programme that his friend felt “hounded to death”.

Lord Woolley said: “In a conversation I had with Jason on the Monday – we met on Monday, with a few dear friends – he said he felt hounded to death, his words, that he couldn’t see a way out.”

He added: “On that day, we saw a man half his body weight and desperate beyond belief.”

The crossbench peer said Prof Arday had been subjected to “the most horrendous, toxic, vicious witch hunt”, and called for an investigation into the “vicious media onslaught”.

“The whole of the black community and black academics have been brought into this debate as though we don’t belong in these positions, because we are collectively the diversity, equity and inclusion hires,” Lord Woolley added.

Prof Arday quit his role following a series of media reports alleging he plagiarised his PhD thesis – completed at Liverpool John Moores University – and other research.

Further questions were asked in the press about the truth of other claims he made, including saying he ran 600 miles in six days and that he had raised £5.5 million for charity.

An investigation at Liverpool John Moores University cleared Prof Arday of wrongdoing.

Publisher Simon & Schuster previously said that his memoir book, Great And Unfortunate Things, would be published in the UK on 27 August.

In a statement on Saturday, the publisher said: “Simon & Schuster is deeply saddened by the news of Jason Arday’s tragic death, and we send our condolences to his family during this devastating time.”

Original source Cambridge chancellor hits out at ‘racist feeding frenzy’ targeting Jason Arday

Back to home