Dad demands new trial after teenager who stabbed girl, 9, walks free

A dad is appealing to have a re-trial after a teenager who stabbed his daughter in the heart walked free from court.

Tom Thorpe, the dad of nine-year-old Aria Thorpe, is launching a campaign after his daughter was killed in her own home in December in Weston-super-Mare.

She was stabbed by a 15-year-old who admitted waving a knife ‘ninja-style’ at her, plunging it 3 inches into her chest and wounding her heart.

He then fled the scene, and was seen on CCTV recreating the stabbing to a group of teenagers at a train station.

Tom said: ‘Walking into a living room with the biggest knife in the house, fencing towards a 4ft nine-year-old, leaving her for dead, locking the dogs away, putting your coat on, casually strolling out of the house.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro's newsletter or get alerts the moment it happens.

‘How on earth, with all of that happening, do you get to walk out of court before we had even walked out of court?’

Undated family handout photo issued by Avon and Somerset Police of nine-year-old Aria Thorpe, who died following an incident in Weston-super-Mare on Monday. A 15-year-old boy has appeared in court charged with the murder of Aria. Issue date: Wednesday December 17, 2025. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Family Handout/PA Wire NOTE TO EDITORS: This handout photo may only be used for editorial reporting purposes for the contemporaneous illustration of events, things or the people in the image or facts mentioned in the caption. Reuse of the picture may require further permission from the copyright holder.

Tom, an off-shore wind turbine inspector, described his daughter as a ‘little firecracker’.

He was told by prosecutors the case would be a ‘slam dunk’, but doubts began surfacing when the defence team argued it was an accident.

The family claims the verdict was a miscarriage of justice because the judge wrongly directed the jury to only convict the teenager of manslaughter if they were sure he deliberately stabbed Aria in a way a reasonable person would believe would cause harm.

They have now launched a campaign, backed by Suella Braverman, to seek a Court of Appeal review.

Aria Thorpe. Fresh pictures of a nine-year-old girl stabbed to death at her home have been released ahead of a trial of her alleged murderer.Aria Thorpe died from a single stab wound at her home in Weston-super-Mare, Somerset on 15 December last year.A 16-year-old boy, who can not be named because of his age, has been charged with her murder is due to go on trial at Bristol Crown Court today. (Mon).Ahead of the trial, Avon and Somerset Police said Aria's family have "deliberately" selected six photos they wanted to be "associated" with her throughout the proceedings.

The case cannot be retried under double jeopardy laws unless new evidence emerges. Tom and his fiancee admit there is a ‘slim chance’ of this, but are exploring their options with the Crown Prosecution.

Tom told The Telegraph: ‘If we can’t change the verdict in the case, then whatever has happened in this trial with the judge’s directions misleading the jury, this must never, ever happen again, because you can’t murder or accidentally kill someone, flee the scene, and get away with it. It’s just disgusting.’

Mrs Braverman, who has set up a petition on her website to support calls for a review, said: ‘The injustice of Aria’s case undermines public confidence in our courts. In no world should the boy who admitted his actions which led to Aria’s death be walking free. It is inexcusable.

‘The Attorney General must step in and ensure that something is done to right this horrendous miscarriage of justice. The Thorpe family and Aria deserve nothing less than the whole country’s support in their campaign.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, .

MORE: Lindsay Clancy suffered ‘command hallucination’ when she killed her three children, court told

MORE: One confirmed dead after sword attack on first day back at school

MORE: Schoolboy, 14, who died after being hit by a bus named and pictured

Original source Dad demands new trial after teenager who stabbed girl, 9, walks free

Back to home