Disposable barbecue caused grass fire which spread to gardens and houses

A disposable barbecue caused a grass fire which spread to homes and gardens in Stoke-on-Trent, an investigation has found.
Four homes in the Goldenhill area of the city were severely damaged on Thursday, with roofs destroyed and windows blown out, after a fire in Sandyford Park spread rapidly due to a combination of extremely dry conditions and wind speeds, Staffordshire Fire and Rescue said.
Four firefighters were taken to hospital after suffering smoke inhalation and the effects of heat exhaustion, with one still remaining in hospital while the other three have been discharged.
An investigation by the fire service has found the cause of the fire, which also destroyed several gardens in Sandy Road and Maureen Avenue, and saw residents evacuated to a nearby community centre, was accidental and started by a disposable barbecue.

The Stoke-on-Trent fire was one of several that broke out in the West Midlands, Wales and other areas last week, prompting Prime Minister Andy Burnham to announce a temporary ban on disposable barbecues amid ongoing hot conditions.
Station manager Liam Hickey, who attended the scene, said: “This incident goes to show the devastation and impact that disposable barbecues can have on local communities.
“Although this incident took place before the temporary national ban was announced, it shows why it is so important that people adhere to these new rules and do everything possible to help protect people in Staffordshire from the risks of wildfires during a period of continued unpredicted demand.
“We are continuing to do everything we can to tackle these fires and carry out prevention activity in high-risk areas, and we ask that people continue to take extra precautions to help ease the impact on local communities and emergency services who continue to work hard to keep people safe.”
