Harry and Meghan latest: King Charles ‘caught off-guard’ by family’s UK return

The Duke and Duchess are understood to be moving back to the UK later this month in a shock development six years after they relocated to the US. The couple are expected to make their home in a non-royal residence outside London and have already enrolled Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet in British schools.

Charles, who is living with cancer, was first made aware of the move on Sunday, three days before the news was made public, but he is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family.

It is understood there will be no change to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s role and status as private individuals and non-working members of the royal family, and they will not be offered a “half-in-half-out” option when it comes to these roles.

Their security arrangement has been described by the prime minister as a “private matter”.

Andy Burnham said: "It's a matter for Harry and Meghan and we wish them well in the move that they’re making."

Warning of 'pile-on' against Meghan

Jennie Bond told Sky News: “I think we should beware a pile-on on Meghan in particular, and I can see that already happening.

“This is the decision they’ve made probably for the sake of their children, as much as for Harry.

“Perhaps Meghan is taking one for the team here, because I’m not sure this is her life’s desire – to live back in the UK.”

Harry moving to the UK - what we know so far

Prince Harry, Meghan and their two children are set to move back to the UK by the end of this month.

They will live outside of London and have already enrolled Lilibet and Archie in schools as the academic year is set to begin at the start of September.

King Charles is understood to welcome the opportunity to see more of the family.

Watch: Camilla speaks about difficulty of keeping King's cancer diagnosis a secret during charity visit

Harry may have spoken to Diana's family about move to UK, says royal commentator

Harry may have spoken to his mother Diana’s family about his move back to the UK, a royal commentator has suggested.

Royal commentator Jennie Bond, told Sky News that while the rift between Harry and much of the Royal Family is well known, he has remained close to Diana's family.

Bond said she believed that Harry "remains quite close" with the Spencer side of his family.

"Harry has remained throughout close to the Spencer side of the family. His two aunts, Diana's sisters, and his uncle, her brother, and perhaps he talked [the move] through with them.

"Maybe he's going to live up their way... Again, we don't know and I think that's a shame because we're all left speculating."

Where could Prince Archie and Princess Lilibet go to school in the UK?

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s children are set to attend British schools in September following the shock announcement that they will be returning from California this month.

Read more here:

Burnham says security for Harry and Meghan is a private matter

Andy Burnham said that Harry and Meghan’s security as they are set to return to the UK is a “private matter”.

Speaking in Bradford, he said: “It's a matter for Harry and Meghan and we wish them well in the move that they're making,” when asked by reporters whether the government would pay for their security.

Sussexes should 'keep a much lower profile' in order to stay safe, says former royal protection officer

A former royal protection officer has warned Harry and Meghan is to "keep a much lower profile than you have so far" in order to keep safe.

As the Home Office offered no comment on the family’s security situation in the UK, Dai Davis told Sky News: "I'm sad to say that if they continue with their high profile media, then keeping them safe from either terrorism or fixated individuals raises the pressure quite considerably."

He said keeping a lower profile would be an answer, but moving into a non-royal residence raised further problems: "If they go somewhere new, that place would have to be reconnoitred. It would have to have technical support, a whole manner of things, including potentially a safe room - hugely expensive and would take time."

Watch: Prince Harry and Meghan to move back to the UK

Camilla reveals she almost let slip King Charles’ cancer diagnosis before official announcement

The Queen reflected publicly for the first time on the emotional strain of keeping the King’s cancer diagnosis private prior to the official announcement.

Attending a public engagement at a Maggie’s cancer support facility in 2024, Camilla carried out her duties in full knowledge of Charles’s condition, just days before the news was released to the world.

Her thoughts on managing the troubling diagnosis behind closed doors were shared in a short film produced jointly by Buckingham Palace and Maggie’s to mark the charity’s 30th anniversary.

Read more here:

Sussexes 'testing the water' with move to UK as they retain homes in California and Portugal

The Sussexes will retain their homes in Montecito, California, and Portugal, while the duchess will continue to run her lifestyle brand As Ever from their new base.

Ms Bond said the couple keeping their other properties could suggest they are “testing the water” with the move.

“The only word we’re getting from the Palace is that Harry and Meghan are not going to be working royals at all, and certainly not whilst they carry on with their commercial activity, or particularly Meghan’s, which I completely see she needs to do, and why shouldn’t she?” the broadcaster said.

“She’s an independent, relatively successful woman.

“They’re not giving up their property in California. They’ve also got a property in Portugal. And that would suggest they are testing the water somewhat.”

Original source Harry and Meghan latest: King Charles ‘caught off-guard’ by family’s UK return

Back to home