‘HS2 lite’ to Manchester project revived

A new version of HS2’s northern leg has moved a step closer after Andy Burnham’s government approved a study to examine how it should be paid for, The i Paper understands.

The Prime Minister has spoken frequently of his desire to see plans for a new rail line resurrected, citing warnings from the industry that the West Coast Main Line between Birmingham and Manchester is close to reaching capacity.

Under Sir Keir Starmer, Labour’s position was that it would not look at building such a line until the 2040s at the earliest but The i Paper understands momentum has shifted under Burnham and officials are now being tasked with how to restart work as soon as possible.

English is lit! Great Expectations rewritten by AI in Gen Z slang

‘I call myself Pip. It’s not a name with much rizz’

One of the great classics, written by Charles Dickens, has been modernised – but it’s not aimed at children studying the text in class.

  • The Dickens classic has been fed into the AI model Claude Opus 4 to produce “Bare Expectations”.
  • The shortened adaption uses the slang of teenagers today, using words like “ick” and “drip”.
  • It was made by Tesco Mobile, in partnership with author Chloe Combi, to help parents better understand their children and keep them safe online.
  • It was also read as an audio book by Allan Mustafa, from Kurupt FM.

Classic for the modern age

You’d think the best MC in the galaxy would know all the latest slang, and I do. If any kid tells you otherwise, they’re lying. Any words I don’t know are just not cool enough for me to care about! 

Allan Mustafa, MC Grindah from Kurupt FM, told Retail Times.

A closer look at the detail

But 77 per cent of parents worry about their online safety. One in four parents felt unprepared when giving their child their first phone. More than half are confused by their child’s language at least once a week.

Some of the nine sets of twins who are due to start school in August at Ardgowan Primary in Inverclyde. Dubbed "Twinverclyde" for its high volume of twins, the 18 children will start at various schools across Inverclyde in the new school term. The class of 2026 will take the Inverclyde twin count to 176 sets since 2013. Picture date: Friday August 14, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jane Barlow/PA Wire
A mobile phone in a pink case charging battery by wire. A charging smartphone with cable on a wooden bedside table on a red brick wall backround

But campaigners say the best way to keep children safe online is by not giving them a smartphone in the first place.

Are Channel crossing numbers down?

People thought to be migrants board a small boat off the coast of Equihen-Plage, France, during an attempt to cross the English Channel. Picture date: Wednesday July 22, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

The French authorities have become more “effective” at stopping migrants crossing in dangerous small boats across the Channel, the UK Government has said.

What do the figures tell us?

The figures compared to last year

5%

The increase in the number of small boats intercepted in the last three months compared with last year.

The Home Office said, citing French figures, that since April, 61 per cent of small boats have been intercepted.

The deal agreed by the UK and France in April.

This includes £161m in performance-based targets.

Channel crisis

In the past few weeks, three boats were stopped – two of which were at sea.

WISSANT, FRANCE - JUNE 30: People wade into the sea to try and board a migrant dinghy to cross into the English Channel on June 30, 2026 in Wissant, France. Nearly 12,000 migrants have made the crossing to the UK this year, around 37% fewer than in the same period in 2025. The UK government is expected to introduce new immigration and asylum legislation ahead of the release of quarterly immigration figures later this week. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)
PA REVIEW OF THE YEAR 2025. File photo dated 17/06/25: A child's shoe is left on the beach in Gravelines, France, after being dropped as people thought to be migrants continue to scramble for small boats in a bid to reach the UK. Issue date: Monday December 15, 2025. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

Numbers falling

Some 15,897 migrants have crossed the Channel, 43 per cent down on the same period last year.

Last month, a record 165 migrants reached the UK in a single boat.

People thought to be migrants on board a small boat off the coast of Hardelot, France, during an attempt to cross the English Channel. Picture date: Wednesday July 29, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

“People smugglers should be in no doubt, we’re taking down their operations, seizing their equipment and breaking their business model for good,” said Home Secretary, Shabana Mahmood.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - JULY 21, 2026: Secretary of State for the Home Department Shabana Mahmood arrives in Downing Street to attend the first Cabinet meeting hosted by the newly appointed Prime Minister Andy Burnham in London, United Kingdom on July 21, 2026. (Photo credit should read Wiktor Szymanowicz/Future Publishing via Getty Images)

3 min read

British rapper Yung Filly to face retrial on rape charges in Australia

The rapper and YouTuber who appeared on Celebrity Bake Off will face a retrial after a jury could not reach a verdict during trial.

British YouTuber and rapper known as Yung Filly, whose real name is Andres Felipe Valencia Barrientos, leaves Western Australian District Court in Perth, Australia, Monday, July 27, 2026. (Aaron Bunch/AAP Image via AP)

Yung Filly denied all charges

The Colombian-born rapper, whose real name is Andrés Felipe Valencia Barrientos, was charged with raping and assaulting a 20-year-old fan after his show in Perth 2024. He denied all 10 charges and a jury last month found him not guilty of three charges of rape.

5 min read

3 min read

He was accused of raping a fan

Barrientos was accused of having consensual sex with her until he turned violent and didn’t stop when asked. His lawyer said the evidence was full of “inconsistencies, embellishments and outright lies”.

British rapper Yung Filly, whose real name is Andres Felipe Valencia Barrientos, leaves the Western Australian District Court in Perth, Australia, on July 27, 2026. (Aaron Bunch/AAP Image via AP)

4 min read

A closer look at the detail

  • Last month, a jury found him not guilty on three counts of rape.
  • He was cleared of one assault charge and another of strangulation.
  • But he was found guilty of two counts of assault.
  • Jurors were unable to make a decision on three counts of sexual penetration without consent.
An aerial view of parched grass as people take part in a Parkrun at Perry Hall Park in Birmingham following the fifth heatwave of the summer which has been marked by extremely dry weather and drought for much of England and Wales. Picture date: Saturday August 15, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Annabel Lee-Ellis/PA Wire

Could El Niño make next year even hotter?

The naturally occurring phenomenon known as El Niño, which can drive up global temperatures and is brewing in the Pacific, could be the strongest in living memory, the Met Office has warned.

What is El Niño?

EXETER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 14: A general view of the weather forecasting office at the Met Office, on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. The prime minister is continuing his tour of the nation in Devon, where he's meeting with small business owners and visiting a scientific facility to discuss the UK's response to extreme heat, drought, and wildfires. (Photo by Finnbarr Webster/Getty Images)

It is a climate phenomenon which occurs in the Pacific Ocean every two to seven years.

Normally, trade winds blow east to west across the equator – during and El Niño period, these weaken or reverse.

EAST MEON, UNITED KINGDOM - AUGUST 11: In this aerial view, cows feed in a parched field near the village of East Meon on August 11, 2026. The field sits within the Solent and South Downs drought zone, which was officially declared in drought on August 10. The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has issued heat-health alerts from Tuesday to Friday for nine regions in England, with temperatures forecast to exceed 36C during the country's fifth heatwave of the season. The National Drought Group has said that two-thirds of England is now officially in drought, with water use restrictions affecting 27 million people. July 2026 was the driest July in England since records began in 1836. (Photo by Brook Mitchell/Getty Images)
A 'No Fishing' sign is pictured in the dried up Falmer Pond in Falmer, East Sussex, south of London on August 5, 2026. England and Wales both experienced the "driest July on record", the UK Met Office weather agency said on August 5, based on provisional figures. (Photo by GLYN KIRK / AFP via Getty Images)

This pushes up global temperatures as warmth is taken from the ocean into the atmosphere.

El Niño’s impact already been seen

It has already started to affect weather systems in other parts of the world, with below-average monsoons in India and suppressed hurricane activity in the Atlantic Ocean. In the UK, El Niño is usually felt later in winter.

GUWAHATI, INDIA - AUGUST 19:A rickshaw driver is making his way along a flooded road with his passenger following heavy rainfall in Guwahati, Assam state, India, on August 19, 2026. The severe monsoon downpour triggered widespread flash flooding and waterlogging across multiple neighborhoods, disrupting normal life and forcing residents to use makeshift watercraft and boats for daily transportation. (Photo by Hafiz Ahmed/Anadolu via Getty Images)
A satellite view shows Hurricane Lala churn in the Central Pacific, while the newly formed Tropical Depression Two-C is forecast to gradually strengthen as it moves toward the Hawaiian Islands over the next several days, August 20, 2026, in this still image from a timelapse video. CSU/CIRA & NOAA/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. MANDATORY CREDIT. TEXT AND LOGO OVERLAYS FROM SOURCE.

A particularly strong El Niño coupled with global warming has left scientists worried that 2027 could be even warmer.

El Niño is strongest in living memory

We should be clear that this is an unprecedented event. I have never seen an El Niño signal this intense in our forecasts.

Professor Adam Scaife, head of
long-range forecasting, the Met Office
PAMPANGA, PHILIPPINES - AUGUST 20: A woman with an umbrella wades through a flooded road caused by monsoon rains, in Apalit, Pampanga, Philippines, on August 20, 2026. The lingering monsoon effects, compounded with the intensifying tropical storm Saudel that is expected to turn into a typhoon, have recently brought humongous rains to the Philippines, causing widespread, serious flooding in multiple areas across 10 different regions, including those on Central Luzon. As a result, tens of thousands of people across the Southeast Asian country have been displaced or evacuated to safety. (Photo by Daniel Ceng/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Risk of most intense El Niño in 1,000 years

  • El Niño is declared when the sea temperature in the tropical eastern Pacific rises 0.5°C above the long-term average.
  • But currently it’s over 2°C and could reach 3°C later this year.
  • Some have suggested it could go above 4°C – meaning it would be the strongest El Nino in the last 500-1,000 years.

Next year could be hottest ever

The precise effect El Niño has on global weather can be unpredictable. But Met Office climate scientist Dr Nick Dunstone told the BBC average global temperatures could rise next year. This would make 2027 the hottest year on record, after 2024.

Visitors to Hyde Park, London, make use of rentable deck chairs. Much of England is under an amber warning for extreme heat, in the face of the fifth heatwave in a summer which has also been marked by extremely dry weather and drought for much of England and Wales. Picture date: Friday August 14, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

4 min read

Phase Two of the high-speed rail line between Birmingham and Manchester was axed by former Tory prime minister Rishi Sunak in October 2023 due to the continual delays and escalating costs of building Phase One of the project.

The London to Birmingham line is expected to cost up to £102.7bn and will not open until May 2036 at the earliest.

At least £2.6bn has already been spent on the former Phase Two route, including purchasing thousands of properties along the route which remain under the ownership of the Department for Transport (DfT).

‘Rocket boosters’ under railway line revival

Officials have been given the green light for a crucial study to examine various models for how much the rail line would cost and how it would be paid for.

Burnham first asked for the study when he backed a proposal for a scaled-down, cheaper HS2 alternative put forward by a consortium of private businesses and branded “HS2 lite” by some commentators in 2024.

This would still be a “high-speed” rail line, with trains travelling at 186mph (300kph) using what is known as “ballasted” track which is 70 per cent cheaper than the “slab” track being used to build HS2.

Coincidentally, Labour has already told HS2 Ltd that it wants to downgrade the speed of trains for Phase One to the same speed of 186mph in a bid to save money.

Heidi Alexander, who retained her position as Transport Secretary during Burnham’s reshuffle in July, said during an appearance on BBC Breakfast last week that she now expects the new Prime Minister “to put some rocket boosters” under the revival of an HS2 alternative.

With Labour having already committed £45bn to Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR), a plan for improvements going to east-to-west across the North, The i Paper understands the central task of the study is to work out how to keep spending on another new railway line “off balance sheet”.

In essence, this means a model where the private sector finances and delivers a public infrastructure project and is repaid over decades, so it does not appear in the government’s wider spending or debt figures.

One example – Private Finance Initiatives (PFI) – was used by UK governments for many years before falling out of favour due to criticism of their value to the taxpayer.

During the Tony Blair and Gordon Brown governments, Labour enthusiastically used PFI to build dozens of schools and hospitals but their legacy is now tainted by claims of huge debts.

Burnham came into direct criticism for approving PFI deals while Health Secretary and later admitted mistakes had been made.

But having committed to maintaining the fiscal rules set by former chancellor Rachel Reeves, he has very little wiggle room for spending and is looking for other options.

‘There’s a clever way of funding this’

In an interview with The i Paper before his win in the Makerfield by-election, Burnham confirmed his intention to resurrect HS2 to Manchester and suggested a financial model similar to the one used to build Crossrail in London.

Around 60 per cent of the £19bn project came from local taxes including an extra 2p “business rates supplement” (BRS), initially applied to premises across the capital with a rateable value of £70,000 in 2023, now risen to £92,000 as of April 2026.

In total, the BRS is expected to raise more than £8bn.

However, sources with knowledge of the alternative HS2 plan have told The i Paper a BRS is unlikely to raise the same level of revenue outside London.

Land value capture (LVC) is another mechanism Burnham supports, whereby developers profiting from the increase in land value around major public infrastructure pay an extra tax.

Labour announced a change to planning rules this week which will mean councils must give a default “yes” to proposals for housing beside train, tram and underground stations.

This could boost the value of land around stations on a new rail line between Manchester and Birmingham.

Public and private investors need to find answer

But some sources close to the process still believe such mechanisms will not provide enough capital and that a more likely answer is to find cash from investors.

The National Wealth Fund, which has around £28bn in capital to deploy and is headquartered in Leeds, could be part of the solution.

Together with other private sector investors, they could set up a joint venture to build the railway line using a concession model similar to the one used for HS1, the Channel Tunnel rail link.

Under this arrangement, the government still owns railway but enters into a contract with a private operator to manage the infrastructure.

The HS1 concession is widely considered a success, having been sold for £2bn in 2010 – recovering around a third of the original £6.2bn build cost.

A spokesperson for the DfT declined to comment but pointed to Labour’s commitment to a new railway line between Manchester and Birmingham as part of the Northern Growth Strategy.

Original source ‘HS2 lite’ to Manchester project revived

Back to home