Men who died in fire in 'neglected' building in west London named

Men who died in fire in 'neglected' building in west London named

The three men died after a fire broke out at a former community centre on the White City Estate in June
Crime scene tape in White City
WEST END FINAL

Three men who died in a fire which broke out at a “neglected” building in west London have been named for the first time.

The disused former Over 50s Centre on the White City Estate was ablaze on the evening of June 20, with about 100 firefighters attending.

Two of the men died at the scene while another passed away after being taken to hospital. A Met Police investigation is ongoing.

The Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS) can now reveal their identities almost two months after the fatal blaze, after an inquest was opened and adjourned.

They are Hristo Ivanov Tomov, Kristin Deyanov Kirilov, and Ivo Ivanov Bohotski.

A spokesperson for the White City Residents Association (WCRA) said they are “deeply conscious” of the ongoing impact of the fire and that their thoughts remain with the friends and families of those who died.

At a meeting following the fire residents questioned Hammersmith and Fulham Council, which owns the building, as to how the incident occurred.

The centre, which was built in the 1980s, was shut by the local authority around a decade ago, following which it was occupied by homeless people. An arrangement was later made for it to be managed under a guardianship, which ran until the end of 2024.

After the guardians vacated the premises the LDRS understands homeless individuals once again moved in. We have been told the men who died had been squatting in the property and that their presence was known to the local authority. A council housing office is based next door.

At the meeting in June two friends of those who died said the council knew they were in the building and urged the local authority to provide more support for those affected.

Harry Audley, a long-time White City resident and former Chair of the WCRA, told the LDRS at the time: “The priority now must be a thorough and transparent investigation, honest answers about the decisions that led to the building being removed from community use, and more than just ‘lessons will be learned’ from LBHF Council.”

Since then the LDRS has been told the West London Coroner opened and suspended an inquest into the deaths of the three men, pending the outcome of the police investigation. The coroner also confirmed the names of the deceased.

A spokesperson for the WCRA said they are “deeply conscious” of the ongoing impact of the fire.

“As the representative association for residents of White City and as managers of the White City Community Centre, adjacent to the Over 50s Centre where the fire occurred, WCRA has provided support to friends of the men who died in the fire and to other local residents who witnessed it.

“At the public meeting held days after the fire, it was clear how deeply affected our community had been by the fire and by questions around the council’s maintenance of the Over 50s Centre over the many years since it was last open.

“Our thoughts remain with the families and friends of the three men who died in the fire, with others living at the Over 50s Centre who were so severely affected and with our wider White City community which was praised by the emergency services for coming together to help each other.

“Thanks to a generous donation from Hammersmith United Charities, we are setting up a series of listening and support sessions to help people process the emotional impact of such a tragedy at the heart of our estate.

“The community is also looking forward to clear answers from the council about how the Over 50s Centre was being maintained in the years and months before the fire, to understand how White City is being kept safe.”

A spokesperson for Hammersmith and Fulham Council previously said they extended their “deepest condolences” to the families, friends and loved ones of the three people who died.

They added they are supporting the Met Police and London Fire Brigade with the ongoing investigation.

Original source Men who died in fire in 'neglected' building in west London named

Back to home