Nick Kyrgios admits 'huge mistake' after testing positive for cocaine

Nick Kyrgios has admitted to making a "huge mistake" after testing positive for cocaine.
The Australian submitted a sample during the Mallorca Open in June which confirmed the presence of benzoylecgonine, a metabolite of cocaine.
A provisional suspension has been in place since August 4. Kyrgios has the right to appeal that but has so far opted against doing so.
During his suspension, he cannot play or even attend any Grand Slams or officially sanctioned events across the men's and women's tours.
In a statement posted on Instagram, Kyrgios said: “I wanted you to hear this from me first. I recently failed a drug test in Mallorca after testing positive for cocaine. I made a huge mistake and I take full responsibility for it.
“I’m sorry to my fans, my family, my sponsors and everyone close to me. Above all, I’m sorry to the kids who follow me. I know the example this sets and I’m deeply disappointed in myself."
Kyrgios last played at Wimbledon, when he lost in the first round of the doubles alongside Alexander Bublik.
The 31-year-old competed in Mallorca before to travelling to London. He was beaten in straight sets by fellow Australian Adam Walton.
That was only the fourth singles match Kyrgios has played this season, as he continues to battle long-standing injury problems.
After undergoing knee surgery in early 2023, Kyrgios then tore a ligament in his wrist six months later. That injury kept him out for the next year and a half.
Those issues have meant Kyrgios has played just one Grand Slam singles match since reaching the quarter-finals of the US Open in 2022.
“I’m not going to make excuses, but I do want to give some context about where I’ve been," Kyrgios continued.
"The last couple of years of injuries have taken a huge toll on me, both physically and mentally. My body hasn’t been able to do what my mind expects it to do, and coming to terms with being near the end of my career has been harder than I ever imagined.
“I’ve always said I didn’t choose tennis – tennis chose me. But letting go of something that has been my whole life is one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to face. At times I’ve felt helpless and alone.
“None of that excuses what I did."
Kyrgios was emotional this summer as he suggested that he was unlikely to ever play again at Wimbledon.
That is not the first time he has hinted at retirement as a result of the injury problems he has had to contend with.
His provisional suspension makes it uncertain whether Kyrgios will return to the tennis court, but he has confirmed he will now step away from public life for the next month.
He said: "The good news is that this has given me a wake up call. For the next 28 days, I’ll be stepping away from social media and public life while I focus on getting myself right.
“I’d ask that people respect my privacy during that time, and most importantly the privacy of my family.
“I’m sorry. I’ll do the work and come back better.”
