
Britain will experience a spell of cooler and wetter conditions following its fifth heatwave of the year.
After several weeks of hot, dry weather, this week could see the return of rain and even some thunderstorms in parts of southern England.
A yellow heat health alert remains in place until 9am on Tuesday for London, the South East and South West.
However forecasters predict this week will bring the most ‘changeable’ conditions since the end of June.
Met Office meteorologist Tom Morgan said: ‘I can’t promise rain for all of us through the week ahead, but in the south at least, it’s looking like the most changeable week we’ve seen here – well at least since the end of June.’
He added that high pressure would give way to low pressure, which in turn would result in significantly fresher conditions in the South as the wind turns north.
By Thursday showers are expected to become widespread, with thunderstorms possible in some areas.
The news will be of relief to many as the UK recovers from it’s hottest week of the year so far.

Last Thursday a record high of 38.1C as recorded in Kew Gardens in London.
The scorching conditions saw wildfires rip through parts of the UK, most notably in the West Midlands, where a blaze destroyed 19 homes in Stourbridge.
West Midlands Fire Service said they had been able to ‘significantly lift’ cordons as households who were evacuated started returning to their homes over the weekend.
In South Wales, crews responded to 14 wildfire incidents on Sunday, with military personnel drafted in from London, Greater Manchester and Bedfordshire to assist operations.
On Friday millions of phones across England and Wales received an emergency alert warning of the high risk of wildfires and advising against using barbecues.
The message, accompanied by a loud siren, came after Andy Burnham described the country as a ‘tinderbox’ and ordered a temporary ban on disposable barbecues.
In the capital, a 50-year-old man was charged with arson after several small fires were set in Hackney.

Emergency services attended an incident in London Fields, near Lansdowne Drive just after 5am on Saturday following reports a man was setting off fires.
Later on Saturday, Isaac Shozi, will appear at Barkingside Magistrates’ Court today after being remanded in custody.
Until tomorrow, southern England continues to be covered by a yellow heat health alert warning of ‘minor impacts’ on health and social care services including increased use of services by vulnerable people.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
MORE: Met Office warns sixth heatwave could hit UK in a matter of weeks
MORE: Reform UK says ‘mass immigration’ to blame for hosepipe ban affecting millions
MORE: Mum runs for her life seconds before wildfire engulfs family’s ‘forever home’