Stag shot dead after man injured during a picnic in Richmond Park

A stag has been put down after it was deemed a “danger to visitors” following an incident that left a man in his 60s injured while picnicking in a London park.
Police were called by the London Ambulance Service shortly before 6.30pm on Saturday following reports that a man had been injured by a stag in Richmond Park.
The man, who is in his 60s, was taken to hospital, where his injuries were assessed as neither life-threatening nor life-changing, police said.
The Royal Parks said the stag had approached the man, who was part of a group having a picnic, in search of food.
Following the incident, the animal’s behaviour was considered to pose a danger to other visitors and the decision was taken to put it down.
The stag was shot by a Royal Parks wildlife officer, the charity said.
The incident comes after repeated warnings from the Royal Parks urging visitors not to approach, touch or feed deer, stressing that the animals are wild and can be dangerous.
The warnings were stepped up in recent months after footage emerged showing people attempting to feed and stroke deer in London’s parks.
The Royal Parks has previously warned that such interactions could lead to a “fatal incident”, urging visitors to keep their distance from the animals.
Stags can weigh over 25 stone or 160kg and reach speeds of up to 30mph. They are powerful animals capable of causing serious injuries.
Visitors are told to maintain at least a 50-metre distance from the deer, which roam freely around the Park, at all times.
Extra caution is needed especially during birthing season (between May and July) when mothers become extremely protective of their fawns and rutting season (between September and November) when stags clash and are highly aggressive.
A spokesperson for Royal Parks said on Monday: “We understand from the police that thankfully the injuries were not life-threatening.
“Sadly, the stag’s behaviour meant that it had to be put down as it was deemed to be a danger to visitors.
“We suspect that this particular stag may have learnt to associate visitors with food.
“If visitors follow our advice and do not feed or interfere with the deer, it is highly unlikely that they will exhibit this type of behaviour.”
Royal Parks said they were “shocked and alarmed” to see videos and photographs circulating online of park visitors approaching deer in nearby Bushy Park, after issuing a warning of the danger of feeding and approaching the animals.
The spokesperson said: “This is highly dangerous behaviour.
“Deer in Bushy and Richmond Parks are wild animals and should never be fed, approached or touched.
“Repeated feeding can cause deer to lose their natural wariness of people and seek out food from visitors, creating risks for both people and wildlife.
“Getting this close, and offering food, puts people at real risk of serious injury.”
They added: “Our advice is simple. Keep at least 50 metres away, never feed or touch the deer, and if one comes towards you, put all food and packaging out of sight and move away slowly and calmly.
“Do not try to move the deer away yourself.”
Royal Parks said that anyone who witnesses someone putting themselves, others or the deer at risk should not intervene but report it to police immediately.
Richmond Park traces its origins to 1625, when Charles I took his court to nearby Richmond Palace to escape the plague in London and turned it into a hunting park, according to the Royal Parks website.
It is popular with joggers and cyclists and is home to 600-strong herds of red and fallow deer.
The deer have roamed the park, which spans some 2,500 acres, since 1637.
Nearby Bushy Park, which is more than 1,000 acres in size, is also home to deer.
