Teens killed in wrong-way crash ‘had been terrorising communities for weeks’

16060309 Alex McCarthy died in the collision in Co Kildare in the early hours of Sunday morningAlex McCarthyFor Dan Sanderson

Five teenagers killed when their stolen BMW ploughed head-on into a family while driving on the wrong side of a motorway had been ‘terrorising’ people over the previous days.

Joey Carthy, Alex McCarthy, Jeremy O’Brien, Jack Kennedy and Kamil Pustkowski, all aged between 15 and 18, died in the collision on the M9, in County Kildare, on Sunday morning.

Speaking soon after the ‘horrific’ crash, Garda Commissioner Justin Kelly said that ‘in some cases’ cars were being driven the wrong way down motorways for social media likes.

And it has now emerged the five teens often posted videos of themselves being chased by gardaí, with one clip showing the view in their rear mirror captioned ‘wrong way’.

The scene on the M9 northbound at Junction 3 in Co Kildare where a number of people have died and others have been seriously injured after a head-on collision between two cars. A Gardai spokesperson said the incident on Sunday morning at 3am occurred when one of the cars was travelling in the wrong direction. Picture date: Sunday August 16, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Niall Carson/PA Wire

All five were also suspected in several thefts and burglaries, in addition to further anti-social activities across Kildare and Carlow over the previous two weeks.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro's newsletter or get alerts the moment it happens.

Each was wearing a mask when their bodies were retrieved from the wreckage, the Daily Mail reports.

The newspaper quotes security sources as saying the teenagers were part of an increasing number of youths trying to ‘one up’ each other in dangerous videos posted to social media.

‘These young guys have been terrorising communities for weeks if not longer,’ they added.

‘They did not care if they were caught as they knew they were underage and that there was little the courts system could do with them.

‘It’s becoming a growing social media trend and it’s been a nightmare for gardaí to police because they are often ordered to stand down from pursuits because of the danger that chasing these guys could put the public in.’

taken w/o permission please legal
Five teenage boys are dead after a head-on smash on an Irish motorway. The youngsters, who were all in one car travelling the wrong way down the M9, died at the scene in Co Kildare in the early hours of Sunday. The passengers in the second vehicle are understood to be members of the same family who were travelling to Dublin Airport, with images from the scene showing a suitcase by the roadside. Emergency services were alerted to a vehicle travelling southbound on the M9 northbound carriageway at junction 3 at around 3am. Garda? confirmed the bodies of the five teenage men have now been removed from the scene and taken to Naas General Hospital where post-mortem examinations will take place. The female driver and front-seat passenger of the second car, both aged in their 30s, have been taken to Tallaght University Hospital and both remain in critical condition. A female rear-seat passenger, in her 20s, was taken to St Luke's General Hospital and is in a serious condition, said the spokesman. The third passenger, a child, has been taken to the Children's Health Ireland at Crumlin and is in a serious condition.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin said yesterday he was ‘shocked and saddened’ at the crash, which was the result of ‘an irresponsible and dangerous act’.

He said: ‘This is the second appalling crash we’ve seen on our roads in a matter of days as a result of the reckless driving of a car on the wrong side of the motorway, endangering the lives of innocent road users.

‘As the Garda Commissioner has said, it is an irresponsible and dangerous act and it is shocking in some cases that it is being done for likes on social media.’

Alex McCarthy For Dan Sanderson
TAKEN W/O PERMISSION PLEASE LEGAL https://www.tiktok.com/@jack.kennedy75/photo/7555639978080980246

Mr Martin added: ‘My thoughts and prayers are with the family who have been injured.

‘I wish them a full recovery.

‘The lives of five teenagers have also been lost as a result.

‘Every death on our roads brings untold grief to families and communities.

‘There can be no tolerance for this reckless behaviour that we have seen on our roads recently.

‘It must stop.’

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, .

MORE: Man shot while breaking into business demands $10,000,000 for ‘emotional distress’

MORE: Teenager charged with killing mum and brother ‘used ChatGPT to play out fantasy’

MORE: Met Police ‘failed in duty’ to Al Fayed’s modern slavery victims

Original source Teens killed in wrong-way crash ‘had been terrorising communities for weeks’

Back to home