The awkward photo of Harry and Andrew the royals will want to avoid

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex’s return to Britain could lead to a family reunion that will give King Charles and his advisers one of their biggest headaches.

While keeping the Duke and Duchess of Sussex apart from the Prince and Princess of Wales presents enough of a challenge, the picture that palace officials will be keenest to avoid will be of Harry with his disgraced uncle, Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.

Harry, 41, used to get on well with Mountbatten-Windsor, who is 66. Both are war veterans once venerated as heroes. But in the past few years, Harry has voiced his contempt for his uncle and is expected to avoid him unless they have to be in the same place together.

“I think his relationship with Andrew is well known,” one source close to Harry said.

English is lit! Great Expectations rewritten by AI in Gen Z slang

‘I call myself Pip. It’s not a name with much rizz’

One of the great classics, written by Charles Dickens, has been modernised – but it’s not aimed at children studying the text in class.

  • The Dickens classic has been fed into the AI model Claude Opus 4 to produce “Bare Expectations”.
  • The shortened adaption uses the slang of teenagers today, using words like “ick” and “drip”.
  • It was made by Tesco Mobile, in partnership with author Chloe Combi, to help parents better understand their children and keep them safe online.
  • It was also read as an audio book by Allan Mustafa, from Kurupt FM.

Classic for the modern age

You’d think the best MC in the galaxy would know all the latest slang, and I do. If any kid tells you otherwise, they’re lying. Any words I don’t know are just not cool enough for me to care about! 

Allan Mustafa, MC Grindah from Kurupt FM, told Retail Times.

A closer look at the detail

But 77 per cent of parents worry about their online safety. One in four parents felt unprepared when giving their child their first phone. More than half are confused by their child’s language at least once a week.

Some of the nine sets of twins who are due to start school in August at Ardgowan Primary in Inverclyde. Dubbed "Twinverclyde" for its high volume of twins, the 18 children will start at various schools across Inverclyde in the new school term. The class of 2026 will take the Inverclyde twin count to 176 sets since 2013. Picture date: Friday August 14, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jane Barlow/PA Wire
A mobile phone in a pink case charging battery by wire. A charging smartphone with cable on a wooden bedside table on a red brick wall backround

But campaigners say the best way to keep children safe online is by not giving them a smartphone in the first place.

Are Channel crossing numbers down?

People thought to be migrants board a small boat off the coast of Equihen-Plage, France, during an attempt to cross the English Channel. Picture date: Wednesday July 22, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

The French authorities have become more “effective” at stopping migrants crossing in dangerous small boats across the Channel, the UK Government has said.

What do the figures tell us?

The figures compared to last year

5%

The increase in the number of small boats intercepted in the last three months compared with last year.

The Home Office said, citing French figures, that since April, 61 per cent of small boats have been intercepted.

The deal agreed by the UK and France in April.

This includes £161m in performance-based targets.

Channel crisis

In the past few weeks, three boats were stopped – two of which were at sea.

WISSANT, FRANCE - JUNE 30: People wade into the sea to try and board a migrant dinghy to cross into the English Channel on June 30, 2026 in Wissant, France. Nearly 12,000 migrants have made the crossing to the UK this year, around 37% fewer than in the same period in 2025. The UK government is expected to introduce new immigration and asylum legislation ahead of the release of quarterly immigration figures later this week. (Photo by Carl Court/Getty Images)
PA REVIEW OF THE YEAR 2025. File photo dated 17/06/25: A child's shoe is left on the beach in Gravelines, France, after being dropped as people thought to be migrants continue to scramble for small boats in a bid to reach the UK. Issue date: Monday December 15, 2025. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

Numbers falling

Some 15,897 migrants have crossed the Channel, 43 per cent down on the same period last year.

Last month, a record 165 migrants reached the UK in a single boat.

People thought to be migrants on board a small boat off the coast of Hardelot, France, during an attempt to cross the English Channel. Picture date: Wednesday July 29, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

“People smugglers should be in no doubt, we’re taking down their operations, seizing their equipment and breaking their business model for good,” said Home Secretary, Shabana Mahmood.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - JULY 21, 2026: Secretary of State for the Home Department Shabana Mahmood arrives in Downing Street to attend the first Cabinet meeting hosted by the newly appointed Prime Minister Andy Burnham in London, United Kingdom on July 21, 2026. (Photo credit should read Wiktor Szymanowicz/Future Publishing via Getty Images)

3 min read

British rapper Yung Filly to face retrial on rape charges in Australia

The rapper and YouTuber who appeared on Celebrity Bake Off will face a retrial after a jury could not reach a verdict during trial.

British YouTuber and rapper known as Yung Filly, whose real name is Andres Felipe Valencia Barrientos, leaves Western Australian District Court in Perth, Australia, Monday, July 27, 2026. (Aaron Bunch/AAP Image via AP)

Yung Filly denied all charges

The Colombian-born rapper, whose real name is Andrés Felipe Valencia Barrientos, was charged with raping and assaulting a 20-year-old fan after his show in Perth 2024. He denied all 10 charges and a jury last month found him not guilty of three charges of rape.

5 min read

3 min read

He was accused of raping a fan

Barrientos was accused of having consensual sex with her until he turned violent and didn’t stop when asked. His lawyer said the evidence was full of “inconsistencies, embellishments and outright lies”.

British rapper Yung Filly, whose real name is Andres Felipe Valencia Barrientos, leaves the Western Australian District Court in Perth, Australia, on July 27, 2026. (Aaron Bunch/AAP Image via AP)

4 min read

A closer look at the detail

  • Last month, a jury found him not guilty on three counts of rape.
  • He was cleared of one assault charge and another of strangulation.
  • But he was found guilty of two counts of assault.
  • Jurors were unable to make a decision on three counts of sexual penetration without consent.
An aerial view of parched grass as people take part in a Parkrun at Perry Hall Park in Birmingham following the fifth heatwave of the summer which has been marked by extremely dry weather and drought for much of England and Wales. Picture date: Saturday August 15, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Annabel Lee-Ellis/PA Wire

Could El Niño make next year even hotter?

The naturally occurring phenomenon known as El Niño, which can drive up global temperatures and is brewing in the Pacific, could be the strongest in living memory, the Met Office has warned.

What is El Niño?

EXETER, ENGLAND - AUGUST 14: A general view of the weather forecasting office at the Met Office, on August 14, 2026 in Exeter, United Kingdom. The prime minister is continuing his tour of the nation in Devon, where he's meeting with small business owners and visiting a scientific facility to discuss the UK's response to extreme heat, drought, and wildfires. (Photo by Finnbarr Webster/Getty Images)

It is a climate phenomenon which occurs in the Pacific Ocean every two to seven years.

Normally, trade winds blow east to west across the equator – during and El Niño period, these weaken or reverse.

EAST MEON, UNITED KINGDOM - AUGUST 11: In this aerial view, cows feed in a parched field near the village of East Meon on August 11, 2026. The field sits within the Solent and South Downs drought zone, which was officially declared in drought on August 10. The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has issued heat-health alerts from Tuesday to Friday for nine regions in England, with temperatures forecast to exceed 36C during the country's fifth heatwave of the season. The National Drought Group has said that two-thirds of England is now officially in drought, with water use restrictions affecting 27 million people. July 2026 was the driest July in England since records began in 1836. (Photo by Brook Mitchell/Getty Images)
A 'No Fishing' sign is pictured in the dried up Falmer Pond in Falmer, East Sussex, south of London on August 5, 2026. England and Wales both experienced the "driest July on record", the UK Met Office weather agency said on August 5, based on provisional figures. (Photo by GLYN KIRK / AFP via Getty Images)

This pushes up global temperatures as warmth is taken from the ocean into the atmosphere.

El Niño’s impact already been seen

It has already started to affect weather systems in other parts of the world, with below-average monsoons in India and suppressed hurricane activity in the Atlantic Ocean. In the UK, El Niño is usually felt later in winter.

GUWAHATI, INDIA - AUGUST 19:A rickshaw driver is making his way along a flooded road with his passenger following heavy rainfall in Guwahati, Assam state, India, on August 19, 2026. The severe monsoon downpour triggered widespread flash flooding and waterlogging across multiple neighborhoods, disrupting normal life and forcing residents to use makeshift watercraft and boats for daily transportation. (Photo by Hafiz Ahmed/Anadolu via Getty Images)
A satellite view shows Hurricane Lala churn in the Central Pacific, while the newly formed Tropical Depression Two-C is forecast to gradually strengthen as it moves toward the Hawaiian Islands over the next several days, August 20, 2026, in this still image from a timelapse video. CSU/CIRA & NOAA/Handout via REUTERS THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN SUPPLIED BY A THIRD PARTY. MANDATORY CREDIT. TEXT AND LOGO OVERLAYS FROM SOURCE.

A particularly strong El Niño coupled with global warming has left scientists worried that 2027 could be even warmer.

El Niño is strongest in living memory

We should be clear that this is an unprecedented event. I have never seen an El Niño signal this intense in our forecasts.

Professor Adam Scaife, head of
long-range forecasting, the Met Office
PAMPANGA, PHILIPPINES - AUGUST 20: A woman with an umbrella wades through a flooded road caused by monsoon rains, in Apalit, Pampanga, Philippines, on August 20, 2026. The lingering monsoon effects, compounded with the intensifying tropical storm Saudel that is expected to turn into a typhoon, have recently brought humongous rains to the Philippines, causing widespread, serious flooding in multiple areas across 10 different regions, including those on Central Luzon. As a result, tens of thousands of people across the Southeast Asian country have been displaced or evacuated to safety. (Photo by Daniel Ceng/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Risk of most intense El Niño in 1,000 years

  • El Niño is declared when the sea temperature in the tropical eastern Pacific rises 0.5°C above the long-term average.
  • But currently it’s over 2°C and could reach 3°C later this year.
  • Some have suggested it could go above 4°C – meaning it would be the strongest El Nino in the last 500-1,000 years.

Next year could be hottest ever

The precise effect El Niño has on global weather can be unpredictable. But Met Office climate scientist Dr Nick Dunstone told the BBC average global temperatures could rise next year. This would make 2027 the hottest year on record, after 2024.

Visitors to Hyde Park, London, make use of rentable deck chairs. Much of England is under an amber warning for extreme heat, in the face of the fifth heatwave in a summer which has also been marked by extremely dry weather and drought for much of England and Wales. Picture date: Friday August 14, 2026. PA Photo. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA Wire

4 min read

Buckingham Palace will likely want to avoid a repeat of the Duchess of Kent’s funeral in September last year, when Mountbatten-Windsor was photographed talking to a decidedly uncomfortable William in front of the cameras.

“I think they’d have Andrew arriving in a car by a side entrance in future,” said royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams.

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - SEPTEMBER 16: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 24 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Prince Andrew, Duke of York and Prince William, Prince of Wales attend Katharine, Duchess of Kent's Requiem Mass service at Westminster Cathedral on September 16, 2025 in London, England. Katharine, Duchess of Kent was married to Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, a first cousin of Queen Elizabeth II. She died on September 4 at the age of 92 at Kensington Palace surrounded by her family. Having converted to Catholicism in 1994, her funeral takes place at Westminster Cathedral and is the first Catholic funeral to be held for a member of the royal family in modern British history. Her Royal Highness will be laid to rest at the Royal Burial Ground at Frogmore, Windsor. (Photo by Max Mumby/Indigo/Getty Images)

For the moment at least, it is difficult to imagine such a reunion happening.

Mountbatten-Windsor – who was arrested earlier this year on suspicion of misconduct in public office in relation to his connections with the late convicted paedophile Jeffrey Epstein – has been left in effective internal exile. The former prince, who was released following his arrest and strongly denies any wrongdoing, has not joined the family up at Balmoral this summer amid reports that he did not feel welcome and turned down the invitation.

This year’s trip to the Scottish Highlands, coinciding with news of the couple’s imminent return, has been dubbed the Sussex summit.

But these family gatherings may well have some extra guests in the future. If the King’s reconciliation with his younger son and daughter-in-law goes well, there could be occasions where Harry, Meghan and Mountbatten-Windsor will be invited: Christmas at Sandringham perhaps, Easter at Windsor, or in any event a relative’s funeral.

Another headache for palace officials could be if Harry and Meghan decide to support trafficking and abuse victims when they return to the UK, which could lead to further scrutiny of Mountbatten-Windsor and his friendship with Epstein.

The couple have previously visited a charity for sexual assault victims. Meghan has worn jeans made by former human trafficking victims, and the couple have campaigned on behalf of young women subjected to online sexual abuse.

‘Sex crimes weren’t on the list’

In his memoir , Harry compared his and Meghan’s treatment to that of Mountbatten-Windsor before he was stripped of all his titles and royal privileges. “He was embroiled in a shameful scandal, accused of the sexual assault of a young woman, and no one had so much as suggested that he lose his security,” he complained. “Whatever grievances people had against us, sex crimes weren’t on the list.

Earlier this year, magazine, a US outlet close to the Sussexes, reported that Harry had always been “frustrated” by comparisons to his uncle. “It was never fair to lump them together,” an insider told the magazine. “Harry served his country, did the job well and never engaged in misconduct – yet lost security and housing, while Andrew was protected for years.”

To add insult to injury, he and Meghan were reportedly exasperated when the King asked them to vacate Frogmore Cottage, their home in Windsor, after he acceded to the throne. The house was then reportedly offered to Mountbatten-Windsor, as the King was trying to force him out of his then home, Royal Lodge.

One former senior royal aide thought it unlikely that the Sussexes would be seen in public with Mountbatten-Windsor but admitted it was possible that they could be invited to attend family gatherings or events such as funerals or weddings.

“I think they’d want to distance both of them from the rest of the family and try to avoid any photographs of them together,” the source said, adding that it would be a test of the Royal Household’s long experience and expertise in choreography.

KING'S LYNN, ENGLAND - DECEMBER 25: Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Princess Anne, Princess Royal, Prince Andrew, Duke of York, Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, Meghan Markle and Prince Harry attend Christmas Day Church service at Church of St Mary Magdalene on December 25, 2017 in King's Lynn, England. (Photo by Chris Jackson/Getty Images)

As things stand, it is extremely unlikely that either the Sussexes or Mountbatten-Windsor would be invited to state occasions such as Trooping the Colour or Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph. Under current practice, those sorts of official events tend to be restricted to taxpayer-funded working members of the Royal Family.

“The problem now is that at every single royal event there will be headlines about whether Harry and Meghan are going to be invited. I think they are really looking at Easter and Christmas but you can see it now if they do go or if they don’t: ‘Harry and Meghan left to spend Christmas alone’.”

Phil Dampier, author of Royally Suited: Harry and Meghan in Their Own Words, and a former royal correspondent, thought the chances of Harry and Mountbatten-Windsor bumping into each other by chance were remote.

“The only events that I can imagine they would be seen together at would be Easter, Christmas, or a funeral or wedding. So at that point it really would be an extraordinary picture to get of the two black sheep of the Royal Family in the same frame.

“They used to be on quite good terms but now they are on totally different paths.”

Original source The awkward photo of Harry and Andrew the royals will want to avoid

Back to home