One confirmed dead after sword attack on first day back at school

One person has been killed after being attacked by a man with a sword at a Swedish high school.

Earlier today, police confirmed that two teenagers have been left with severe injuries but would not comment on whether there were any deaths.

Both aged between 12 and 17, the two boys are being treated in hospital, while a third sustained ‘light’ injuries.

Then, in a press conference this evening, Police Chief Tommy Alriksson shared that one person was found dead when officers entered the school to secure the premises.

The pupils had just returned to Brinell High School in the small town of Fagersta, central Sweden, following their summer break when the attack occurred.

A massive emergency response was triggered when a man armed with a sword entered the school as classes were in session.

Sign up for all of the latest stories

Start your day informed with Metro's newsletter or get alerts the moment it happens.

Police special forces work at the scene where an attacker with a sword wounded several people at a high school in Fagersta, central Sweden on August 21, 2026. At least three were wounded after an attacker with a sword entered a high school in central Sweden, authorities said, while media reported the perpetrator had been shot by police. "An assailant armed with a sword has entered Brinellskolan and wounded several people," the Fagersta municipality said in a statement, adding the assailant had been detained by police. Aftonbladet newspaper reported that a person wielding a machete had been shot by police. (Photo by Fredrik SANDBERG / TT NEWS AGENCY / AFP via Getty Images) / Sweden OUT

Police confirmed in a statement that the alarm was raised at 2.06pm about ‘suspected deadly violence’, and they immediately sent ‘all available resources’ to the school.

Alriksson later corroborated prior local media reports that the suspect arrested was an 18-year-old. It’s been claimed he is a former student of the school who had an existing assault conviction.

He also confirmed that shots were fired at the perpetrator, who is now in custody. He was allegedly shot in the leg.

There is no longer any danger to the public, he added.

‘We have no reason at this time to believe that there are multiple perpetrators,’ said Alriksson, insisting that an investigation was underway.

It is unclear what the attacker’s motive may have been.

His home was raided after his arrest, with police also investigating a mysterious TikTok account where an image of a sword was shared around 25 minutes before the attack.

Police officers work at the site where several people were injured at a Swedish high school by a person armed with a sword, according to the officials of the Fagersta municipality, at Brinell School in Fagersta, central Sweden, August 21, 2026. REUTERS/Philip O???Connor

It is unknown whether the account is connected to the suspect, but it had previously shared pictures and videos praising mass murderers.

The suspect wore a helmet during the sword attack, and students recalled fleeing for their safety.

‘We just all ran,’ said Abdulrahem Salmo.

He added that he had seen one victim with a bloody stab wound to their arm.

‘Then people called the police, and we just all ran from there because we were afraid.’

Madelene Jansson, whose daughter goes to the school, also spoke to local newspaper Fagersta-posten outside, explaining that she was sent a text message by her child, saying ‘somebody had been stabbed, and the police were on their way’.

‘Then it all just went off. It feels unreal,’ she told the paper.

Members of the emergency services work at the scene where an attacker with a sword wounded several people at a high school in Fagersta, central Sweden on August 21, 2026. At least three were wounded after an attacker with a sword entered a high school in central Sweden, authorities said, while media reported the perpetrator had been shot by police. "An assailant armed with a sword has entered Brinellskolan and wounded several people," the Fagersta municipality said in a statement, adding the assailant had been detained by police. Aftonbladet newspaper reported that a person wielding a machete had been shot by police. (Photo by Fredrik SANDBERG / TT NEWS AGENCY / AFP via Getty Images) / Sweden OUT

Several police officers were seen coming in and out of a cordon surrounding Brinell, which has 450 students aged 16 to 20.

The incident triggered a mass lockdown, with measures implemented for eight other schools, which were later lifted.

Public buildings were also locked down in Fagersta, a town with a population of 13,000.

‘We are moving into high alert status to marshal our resources and gain the clearest possible picture of the situation,’ the Vastmanland county authority said in a statement.

The Swedish government has been liaising with the police force in the aftermath of the attack, with Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson urging people to allow the emergency services to work without disturbance.

‘Our thoughts are with all those affected,’ he added in an X post.

Social Democrat leader Magdalena Andersson also wrote: ‘All of Sweden stands together with Fagersta at this difficult time.’

The sword attack comes 18 months after the worst mass shooting in Swedish history.

A gunman opened fire at a school in Orebro, also in central Sweden, killing 10 people before shooting himself.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, .

MORE: Schoolboy, 14, who died after being hit by a bus named and pictured

MORE: Women rally in support of Lindsay Clancy outside trial over her children’s deaths

MORE: Oldest death row inmate who had ‘last meal’ eight times dies naturally aged 101

Original source One confirmed dead after sword attack on first day back at school

Back to home