Will All Points East be hit by fresh ‘dustbowl’? Festival takes action amid fears of repeat of last year’s difficult dry conditions

An east London park is hoping to avoid becoming a dustbowl this weekend as it prepares to host a major music festival this weekend.
All Points East, one of the highlights of London’s festival calendar, will begin amid a record-setting drought that has turned many of the capital’s parks into parched lands.
The festival will kick off on Friday August 21, and will feature two shows from Tyler, the Creator and others from Lorde and Jorja Smith over the course of the next two weekends.
Last year’s festival suffered from high levels of dust at London’s Victoria Park, with reports of extremely dusty conditions at the site flooding social media.
Fans shared footage of them covering their mouths to protect themselves, with many advising any attendees with respiratory issues to wear a mask.

Jim King, the CEO of events giant AEG which runs the festival, told the Times that last year’s “well-reported dust issues” have informed the group’s planning for this year’s event.
Mr King said: “Immediately after the show, we worked with the London Borough of Tower Hamlets to get back into the park [and begin] an extensive amount of reseeding.”
He added that the reseeding efforts had made the park “as strong as it could be” ahead of the festival dates, and that his experienced site teams have been “working with music festivals for 30 years”.
This year, teams have brought in extra ground protection, including plastic coverings in high-footfall areas in Victoria Park, in an attempt to prevent creating the same hazy atmosphere as last year.
London finally got its first “heavy rain” in weeks overnight on Tuesday.
And more showers could be on the way for the drought-hit city, with BBC weather predicting further showers on Wednesday and Thursday.

All Points East could thus be saved from the same brutal conditions as last year.
However, following the extremely wet winter, AEG were advised that the east London park
would benefit the park to have more time to recover before festival season - meaning the three-day festival was changed to a one-day affair, now scheduled for August 31.
Mr King said: “Those decisions are extremely costly in one way or the other, financially or otherwise. But we are a long-term partner for the London Borough of Tower Hamlets, the community - we take those responsibilities seriously.”
He did however describe the drought conditions that have affected the capital this summer as “challenging”.
He said: “We’ve now gone from planning into execution, with further resource and mitigation plans to ensure that the park is as protected as it can be and that the fan experience and the artist experiences are as high as they possibly can be as well.”
Mr King told the Times that festivals were valuable to London’s economy and its creative scene - highlighting that LIDO and All Points East delivered about £70 million in total spending across London, including £6 million in Tower Hamlets.
He added: “We have a long track record working in London’s parks. I think we’ve got a very good reputation.”
Nevertheless, a petition was started last year by a group calling itself Protect Victoria Park which claimed that the “commercialisation [of the park] has gone too far”.
The group said: “Locals will not stand for this beloved green space being turned into a cash cow, then summers for years to come will be marred by massive fences, with locals being penned in to other areas that are increasingly busy.”
It came following an application from AEG to use around a third of the park for 75 days of festival activities a year over the next six summers, including the building and deconstruction of the site.
Festivals across London’s parks are meeting increasing opposition, with a legal battle over the future of gigs in Brockwell Park going to the High Court in May.
Opponents argued that public parks are habitually closed for weeks during high summer in parts of the city, where outside space is at a premium.
Resident Juliet Chambers wanted to legally challenge Lambeth Council over its decision to use parts of the park for the events, saying it had misinterpreted the word "recreation".
However, Mr Justice Jay dismissed the bid, saying recreation was a "pastime which is pursued for the pleasure or interest it provides... It is clear in my view that this musical festival is a cultural activity."
Mr King said: “Everybody wants to come to east London, to Victoria Park, which is a massive thing for us, a huge success.
“But then comes the responsibility to ensure that we deliver and we execute professionally, sustainably and with great care. And I think responsibility to the community. And I just want to make sure that there’s that balance.”
